Sensitive teeth can really put a damper on enjoying your food or drinks or even going outside in cold weather.
For those dealing with sensitive teeth, there are dental treatments Waterloo that can help.
What causes sensitivity
There are several issues that can cause tooth sensitivity. Some of which are:
- Enamel that is thinned often from scrubbing too hard when brushing the teeth
- Teeth erosion due to the number of acidic foods and drinks consumed
- Gums receding that allows the root to become exposed
- Grinding of your teeth
- Post dental procedure sensitivity
- Cracked teeth
- Gum disease (gingivitis) can cause sensitivity
- Some whitening treatments can cause sensitivity as well
How to deal with sensitivity
There are things that you can do to help cope with teeth sensitivity.
Some of the ways are:
- Try a toothpaste that is designed for sensitive teeth
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush
- Use a fluoride rinse every day
- Get a mouth guard if you grind your teeth and find ways to destress such as yoga or meditation to help reduce teeth grinding
- Brush less harshly so you are not scrubbing the enamel thinner
Your dentist may recommend any of these or other ways to help with desensitizing your teeth including the following dental procedures:
- Crowns or caps
- Fluoride treatments of gel or varnish applied to your teeth
- Root canal to save your tooth and deal with decay
- Gum graphs to replace gums that have receded to help stop sensitivity and also help save your natural teeth
If you have sensitivity with your teeth, your Waterloo dentist can help.
Discuss with your dentist what you can do to help reduce the sensitivity and what may be causing the sensitivity.