Having an issue while sleeping? Do you wake up often because of snoring or sleep apnea issues? The most efficient solution for treating teeth clenching and grinding is the use of mouth guards.
What Are Mouth Guards?
These are the transparent coverings worn by the patient, over the teeth. It protects the teeth by acting as an anti-grinding agent. It also protects the teeth during sports.
The mouth guards are custom-fitted and individually designed by the dentists for specific individuals. The dentists provide the instructions to the special dental laboratory to fabricate the night guard according to the patient’s mouth size.
The mouth guards are indicated in patients who have clenching and grinding issues during the night and day. Normally, dentists recommend a mouth guard for sleeping in affected patients.
Steps in the Fabrication of Mouth Guards:
Following are the steps which are involved in the manufacture of mouth guards for sleeping issues:
- The dentist takes the impression.
- The impression is then used for the preparation of model.
- The night guard is molded over the model by utilizing a unique This particular material requires extra time and work, due to which the mouth guards are expensive. However, these mouth guards are highly protective and comfortable.
Mouth guards usually cover the upper teeth while the lower jaw remains the same. However, if you are undergoing an orthodontic treatment and wearing braces or fixed appliance in the lower jaw, then for these conditions, your dentist will suggest the mouth guard for lower teeth as well.
Ideal Properties of Mouth Guards:
The mouth guard should possess the following properties:
- Resistance to tear
- Allows easy breathing and speech ability
- Easy to clean
Benefits of wearing a mouth guard for sleeping:
The advantages of mouth guards during sleep include:
- The mouth guards create a cushioning effect between the upper and lower teeth.
- They have an opening between the lips which allows you to breathe