If you are considering sedation dentistry for your child you may be wondering if it is safe: yes, it is safe and can be only administered by a licensed dentist.
What is sedation dentistry
Sedation dentistry uses safe drugs in order to help patients who are afraid or anxious when it comes to having dental procedures done. These drugs can be given through inhalation, orally, or with an IV. Drugs like nitrous oxide (laughing gas) are inhaled, there are liquids and pill forms of sedation drugs that can be used, and using IV works the quickest as it is put directly into the bloodstream. The amount of sedation will depend on the patient and the procedure. Many procedures require a small amount of sedation so the patient is awake and participate by responding to commands.
The top 5 reasons to consider sedation dentistry
Here are the top 5 reasons to consider sedation dentistry for your child.
- Comfort – using sedation allows your child to become comfortable with the dentist and procedures
- Safety – it is completely safe for children administered by a licensed dentist and the child is monitored the complete time
- Great dental care – allows a child to be still so that the dentist can take care of the teeth
- Efficient – the dentist can be more efficient if the child is still
- Stress-free – being sedated will allow a stress-free visit for the child so hopefully, as they get older they will no longer need to be sedated
Benefits of sedation dentistry
There are benefits to sedation dentistry for children and even adults.
Dr. Stephen Mathews can help you understand the benefits of sedation dentistry.